This report is looking at:
- Melbourne liveability background
- population growth and projections
- construction boom in response to this population growth
- long-term challenges Melbourne faces
- mechanisms needed to manage growth.
The report identifies five key priorities for Melbourne to focus on over the next decade in the pursuit of liveability:
- creating a high urban amenity platform across Metropolitan Melbourne
- retaining awareness of existing successful precincts
- delivering employment to population growth in outer urban areas
- activating urban renewal precincts and setting them up to succeed
- planning ahead for regional decentralisation.
Melbourne’s appeal is its strongest brand asset. It is well-placed to capitalise on its strength in higher education, creative industries and culture, but, as population grows, infrastructure changes need to keep pace to allow Melbourne to keep its liveability status.
Reviewed 22 October 2018