What we do
We ensure that Victorian Government clients and staff have easy access to the information resources needed to do the work for the government:
- through the collections of licensed electronic resources
- the Whole of Victorian Government library collection
- a team of information professionals
- research assistance and extensive information skills program
- access to a global network of libraries and suppliers.
We have resources covering the following subject areas:
- Economics and Finance
- Health and Human Services
- Transport, Roads and Infrastructure
- Governance and Risk
- Public Administration and Business
- Science and Technology
Access to information
Our clients have access to:
- print and online resources, including books, e-books, journals and reports not available elsewhere
- specialised databases containing subject-specific journals, media, legal resources, standards and conference papers.
- resources from other libraries across Australia and world-wide
- Login to the Library gateway site and use the available search options
- Use the ‘Request item button’ or ‘Place on Hold’, if the item is currently on loan
- Your requested items will be sent directly to your office location. You can check the progress of your request in the ‘My Account tab’
- You can also request an item via the Ask a librarian form on Library gateway
- you can borrow unlimited items
- loan period is 28 days
- you can renew loans via your
- you can return items during business hours or via Australia Post or DX mail
- you can reserve items via your , or by calling 1800 SHARED (1800 742 733)
- you can request items not available from our collections by using the Request form on your at no charge
- you will receive overdue reminder notices via email
You will be notified about the status of your request when the item becomes available or overdue. When the item is sent, you will receive an email notification with a tracking ID.
You can renew items (unless other library users have requested them).
To renew a loan, go to “My Account”, select “Checkouts” tab and “Renew” button.
Our librarians can help you:
- develop search strategies to find authoritative information
- use search tools and techniques
- improve research skills
- manage research results.
If your request is urgent, please contact library services directly:
Publications registration - ISBN and ISSN allocation
We allocate ISBN and ISSN numbers for Victorian Government publications, ensuring compliance with legal deposit requirements.
ISBNs and ISSNs are unique identifiers that are allocated to all Victorian Government publications intended for public distribution.
ISBN numbers are usually supplied within 24 hours. ISSN numbers for serial publications can take up to 72 hours to supply.
We can help you develop skills in using resources and managing information.
- an introduction to online library services
- searching skills sessions
- legislation and case law training
- searching government gazettes
- creating legal alerts
- customised training for your team
How to contact library services
Reviewed 28 May 2021